Grupa Cheoil Auditions Sat 8th Feb 10:30-12:30PM- Grupa Cheoil auditions for all age groups will be conducted Sat 8th Feb downstairs in the Gaelscoil. We would encourage all interested children playing music for 2 years or more to consider auditioning for the grupa cheoils. It is a wonderful way to play music in a group, learn tunes, make friends and progress in music. Rehearsals this year will be on Wednesday evenings (5:15 to 6:30PM) in the Mercy College, starting in early March.
PDF attached with all details on grupa cheoil. Children are welcome to audition from around the county & from the Fred Finn Branch.
It’s grupa cheoil time again. In the branch we prepare groups for the fleadh at all underage levels.
Over the past number of years, our groups have had great success at fleadhanna. This was not always the case and in order to be successful , it takes talent, lots of hard work and commitment.
- Aug 2019- U-18s qualified for All Ireland Fleadh Drogheda.
- Aug 2018, U-18s qualified for All-Ireland Fleadh in Drogheda.
- In Aug 2017, our U-18 group- 1st place at the All Ireland Fleadh in Ennis
- In Aug 2016, U-18 grupa was awarded 2nd place at the All Ireland Fleadh in Ennis. The U-15s also
performed at the All Ireland Fleadh in 2016.
- In August 2015, the U-18 grupa cheoil was awarded 3rd place in Sligo. The 12-15 also qualified from
Connacht & performed at the All Ireland Fleadh in Sligo in 2015.
- In 2014, all three groups (under 12, 12-15 and under 18) qualified for the All-Ireland and our U-18 group
achieved 2nd place at Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann in Sligo.
- In 2013, our 15-18 group were awarded 2nd place in Derry.In 2012, our three groups were prizewinners at
the All-Ireland Fleadh in Cavan.
Grúpa cheoil is similar to orchestra and offers children an opportunity to learn music in a group, play music together in an enjoyable, fun way. Children should be playing music for a minimum of two years before presenting to audition for grúpa cheoil and need to have a medium sized
repertoire of tunes they are proficient in and know off by heart.
Due to the success the branch enjoys and indeed the strength of music in the county, recent years have seen greater demand for places in the groups than are available – groups cannot exceed twenty members in total, under Fleadh rules. Therefore it is necessary, and as has been practice, to audition for group membership and selection of the twenty children who will make up each group. The branch seeks to give access to traditional music to the widest possible cohort of the community, in particular children and youth. It also seeks to promote excellence in the standard of music of its membership – and in particular children and youth as referred to above. Thus competence and ability as determined by audition is the primary criterion in group selection (see also below in respect of instrument range/combination).
The branch also participates in many activities (culture night, seachtain na Gaeilge etc); activities which are of value to and which strengthen our community. Through such participation we promote our traditional culture; but we also promote a culture within our membership of contributing to the wider community (giving back) and partnering positively in community initiatives with others. It is that same community which we rely on for our supports – teaching facilities, performance opportunities, raising branch finances, running Fleadhanna/festivals etc. We also rely on adult participation in our own branch to ensure its continued functioning. As a secondary criterion, therefore, we consider participation by applicants and their families in branch activities and branch promoted activities.
Those interested in participating in this year’s grúpa cheoil must audition. If you do not audition, you cannot be considered for a place in any of our grúpaí cheoil.We anticipate that it will not be possible (given the experience of recent years) to accept all of those who present for audition in the groups, as we generally have more than 20 children wishing to participate in each group category.
- The selection process is based primarily on performance at audition and optimum range/combination of instruments. Children should audition on an instrument other than a tin-whistle where possible & should be playing competently on that instrument.
- Grupa cheoil is not suitable for beginners, or those playing basic tunes. Fundamentals like tuning, repertoire and rhythm need to be mastered before considering auditioning for grupa cheoil. Generally children need to be playing music for 3 or 4 years to be ready to participate in grupa cheoil.
- Additionally and beyond the audition/instrument criteria, participation in and support for branch activities (including branch classes), is given recognition in selecting group members where that is possible,
- Thus if you wish to be considered for membership of any of the groups please present for audition
within the times advised above. It is also a requirement that group members are members of CCE.
DETAILS FOR AUDITIONS:
AUDITION DATE Sat 8th Feb 2020
Time 10.30AM to 12:30PM
WHERE: Gaelscoil Main Building (in downstairs classroom)
WHO -All U-12s, All 12-15s and All U-18s who wish to be considered for membership of a group.
Grupa Cheoil weekly rehearsals will start on Wednesdays at the end of Februrary Following audition, Enrolment for all Groups will then take place on the evening of the first practice. All successful participants must register on this date. (fee of €60 payable on enrolment evening)
Practices for all Groups- Practices will be generally conducted on Wednesday evenings
(in a new venue this year – Mercy College Sligo). We have 3 teachers working in 3 separate classrooms with the groups
TIME for practices for all groups: 5:15PM to 6:30/6:45PM on Wednesdays.
Under 12s will be asked to play a polka or a jig, without notes on an instrument. It’s not a test & children do not need to be nervous. Priority will be given to instruments other than tin-whistle, though each year we have a number of tin-whistle players in groups.
12-15 players and 15-18 players will be asked to play 2 reels, without notes
• You must be willing to commit to approx 15 practices before County Fleadh.
• Full attendance is required for all age levels. If you miss 3 practices you will lose your place in the
grúpa Cheoil. (In the past 8 years, we have never asked anyone to leave a grúpa cheoil as we have found that there is full commitment from families. Of course, on occasion a child can’t make a practice and we understand this fully). You need to arrive on time for each practice, with your tunes learned. (Practices will
start sharp each evening)
• Practices will be held on Wednesdays. (5:15PM to 6:30/6.45PM) & will commence in February. We don’t
have practices during February mid-term break or Easter Holidays.
• Full attendance and commitment to learning is required
• You need to be available on the following dates:
• The Sligo Co. Fleadh(1st weekend in June)
• Connacht Fleadh – 1st weekend in July
• All Ireland Fleadh in Mullingar if group qualifies (2nd weekend in August in 2020)
• Children can audition in their own age group only
• You must present for audition within your own age category. In exceptional circumstances and
based only on group requirements a child may be placed in a group above their age category.
This is entirely at the discretion of the branch musical director.
• Auditions will be conducted by June McCormack & Mossie Martin.